Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Instant, Free - Picnik was OK, but is it for me!

Understanding the wonder and simplicity of tools in technology that are at my disposal is enlightening.  I appreciate how Scot Aldred, lecturer of the ICT's for Learning Design course at CQ University, has scaffolded this course.  From the outset he advised us to "follow the course work and all will be reveiled".    Using picnik was very easy and I have included a link to a photograph I have uploaded here.  I chose this simple photo as it complements the photos included in my earlier blog on Lamberts Beach.

I have considered the use of images in education from both a technical and pedagogical viewpoint, as is recommended by Scot Aldred in the GDLT ICT's for Learning Design course work. 

Technical - how it is developed and distributed.
Pedagogical - how you make it available and your insructional purpose.

Tools for image application and manipulation technically are easy to use, readily available and non cost restrictive. 

In a pedagogical sense, the way in which I implement these tools must reflect what my learners already know, what they want or need to learn, how they learn, what they will learn, the desired outcomes of this learning and whether they were positive or not.  Certainly applying such tools within the 8LMQs (Lynch.  2003) will assist in these positive outcomes being met.

The purpose for each new tool introduced is becoming very clear and with this, my ability to see how it can be used for my learners.  I think the most important revelations for me have been:

1. My learners - for the most part - are conversant in technology.  They will most likely be able to teach me more than I teach them. I need to be aware of the prior knowledge and learning experiences, and understand technology today so that I can facilitate their learning and continue on my learning journey together.

2. There are many programmes and possibilities available.  Some may cost some money, some may be free.  Basically though, there is something for everyone, to suit their prior knowledge, desired outcomes, preferences.

3.  These applications are readily and immediately available, with a computer and internet access.

4. They are simple to use and through using them, the learner is developing general skills that will equip them with the ability of life-long learning. 

In my own experience, I have followed insructions, made mistakes, rectified mistakes, applied (to varying degress and with varing success) new techniques and ideas.  I was aware of using "links" from previous experiences to assist me.  That is,  the learning can be applied to more that just this task and comes from other learning experiences.  I used such high order thinking skills as perserverence, creative thinking, and learn through self discovery and experienced a sense of achievment.  These, as outlined in the Dimensions of Learning #1 Attitudes and Perceptions and #5 Habits of mind, lay the essential background for deep learning.

Picnik was very easy to use and it is free.  I would, however, like to take a further look at other applications also so that I may make an informed judgement on which I will utilise in the future.

Kylie B

References:

www.picnik.com/

Marzano, R., Pickering. D. (2006). Dimensions of Learning. Teachers Manual (2nd ed.). Victoria. Hawker Brownlow Education.


Smith, R., Lynch, D. & Mienczakowski, J. (2003). "The bachelor of learning management (BLM) and education capability", Change: Transformations in Education, (6) (2): 23--37. Introduced by Aldred, S. (2010) EDED20491 ICTs in Learning Design Courseware Rockhampton, QLD, Australia: CQ University Australia. Retrieved from: http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/4497/1/Vol6No2Article2.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie,

    I loved the photos you posted, absolutely stunning part of Australia. I agree, finding all this technology is exciting and a little bit daunting, but I do love the potential opportunities it provides us with to enhance learning experiences. I think you're right though, kids these days are so techno savvy I will be learning from them too I am sure! Scot has definitely set us on the right path throughout this course and his explanations and how to guiding has encouraged many new avenues to be opened up through ICTs.

    Well done,

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Samantha for your comment and I am with you certainly, it is an exciting journey we have now embarked on. I look forward to seeing how creative we can become as we enter our new phase of Embedded Professional Learning this week! All the best.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kylie
    You really have a great blog! I have read a few of your posts now and love your writing style. It flows freely and you make excellent points. I really liked were you talked about using the higher order thinking skills in this blog. How smart of you to link your own learning back to the DoL. I'm going to have another look at habits of mind and see if I can pick up a few tips. Look forward to more of your posts!!

    ReplyDelete